Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesdays Suck

A little light on the hero front today, and this one is probably going to be one of the shortest posts of the series. The above is a replica of the Jules Rimet Trophy, the trophy that was originally given to the winner of the World Cup, and if you have to ask the World Cup of what, then perhaps you should just stop reading now. Named in honour of Jules Rimet, born this day 1873 in Theuley, France. His major claim to fame that while as president of FIFA, he "created" the world cup. The first one of which was won by Uruguay in 1930. The picture above is the picture of a replica because the original trophy was stolen (more than once) in 1983, and was never recovered. Brazil, by virtue of winner the World Cup three times, have been granted the right to the trophy in perpetuity, so today the winner gets another trophy, but the idea is the same. The three time winner keeping the trophy was M. Rimet's idea, and I guess since he founded the damn competition he should have some say so in where the trophy bearing his name is kept. M. Rimet is a timely hero, because today is the last round of qualifying (in Europe at least) for the competition that he started which will be held in South Africa in 2010. He is also, a simple post to write, which is important because I have discovered that Wednesdays suck. My job is mostly mindless, which is a sad thing to say, but true. However, on Wednesdays I do the most mind numbing of the various tasks that make up my job, and it drains me of the few creative thoughts that I can manage to string together. It is a sad indication of my inability to rise about this mind numbing task, and write something worthwhile, but I never said I was your mountain. M. Rimet, by virtue of serving for 33 years, remains the longest serving president of FIFA, and for that, and creating a competition that makes the entire world stop, and take notice, Jules Rimet (October 14th 1873- October 16th 1956 at the age of 83), you are my hero of the day.

2 comments:

Colby said...

My creativity is gone altogether these days. I wish it was just Wednesdays. And I didn't know that the World Cup trophy was stolen. That's good Jeopardy trivia.

The Grand Inquisitor said...

it was stolen more than once. google the dog named "pickles" now that is some trivia.