Monday, October 19, 2009

Disco

The curly haired fellow is one Disco Stu, and today is not really his birthday, but since I could not find a "true" birthday hero today, I decided to go with Disco Stu. Mainly because today in 1959 the first discotheque open. It was called the Scotch-Club, and it opened in Aachen, Germany. It appears that it was quite the accident that disco was "invented" at this place in time. The regular band was unable to play, so a record player had to be used, and the fellow in charge of the records when a little free style on the world, and disco was "born." We all know the crazy that followed, and most of have, whether we admit it, or not, seen Saturday Night Fever, and sung Staying Alive at the top of our voices at some time in our lives. Thus, we have Disco Stu the epitome of disco on the Simpson's. The big hair, the flash jacket, and at one time the platform shoes with goldfish in the heels. All of these make Disco Stu too cool for words. Of course, Stu is aware that disco is dead, and doesn't really like disco music, but he continues to be Disco Stu because that is what he does. And as an aside that is, in my opinion, the tragedy of this piece. The number of times I have been asked "what do you do?" The stock answer is to fill in the blank with my "title." Thus pigeon holing me into whatever stereo type that person has about my title. Too much TV will give people the wrong idea about my job, and it is very sad that at times I have to answer the "did you win?" question. In my world at least, my job is not about winning and losing, just like my job isn't what I am, or what I do. I am, in many respects much more, and much less than my job title, and it is for you to figure out which is which. I refuse to be "what I do." Maybe I am nothing, maybe I am something different, but I am not Disco Stu just for the sake of being Disco Stu. However, for all those rhinestone jackets, and for trying to save a dead genre from the scrap heap of history, Disco Stu (October 19th 1959?-present), you are my hero of the day.

No comments: