Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Deadlines and Commiments

Jesus H. Christ here it is ten minutes before midnight, and I have yet to post my hero of the day. Horrible! I should be, and am quite ashamed of myself. Truth is there is no hero of this rather dull, boring October day. No one who helped advance the cure for cancer, no one who discovered uncharted lands, or led some random sports team to some random title in some random year. Truth of it is dear readers, is that your faithful blogger is drunk, gloriously drunk, but still in the mood to post. Still realizing as I was drinking the night away that I had to come home, log on to my computer, and post SOMETHING. That is my task, my duty, my burden that I have set myself. There are doubters you know, people who think, and have said out loud "oh I knew you were doing that hero of the day stuff, but I did not think you would stick to it." Well here I am some 4o plus days into this project, and I have not failed yet. Which, to anyone that knows me, is a rather large achievement in and of itself. The paterfamilias would tell you, if you bothered to ask, that my entire life has been one big, fat, fucking, failure, and that I disappoint him on a daily basis. Luckily for me, he is near the after life, and does not spend too much time perusing blogs everyday. It seems I have screwed my courage up to the sticking point, and managed to pose either a silly little blurb about some random person I consider a hero, or at least a post about why there is not a hero of the day. Of course, all of this is made harder by the fact that a) I am currently drunk, since I have been drinking for the last seven hours straight, and b) am under the pressure of a deadline that happens in less than 15 minuets, and c) have to come up with some "clever" idea that is at least worth giving a quick read to. This is almost more than I can accomplish since, after all, I have very little talent in the creative sense. Truth of the matter is that I have, in some respects, spent the last twenty four hours attempting to come up with an idea for this post. The searching through the list of people's birthday's, the sad discovery that no one met the criteria of hero status, the idea that instead of a hero I needed to post something explaining my lack of a hero, the drinking the afternoon and night away, all the while knowing that I HAD to come home, and write something that made at least a little bit of sense have constituted my thought process all day. Even while I am performing my day to day tasks that I do everyday just to make a living. I have been, in the back of my smallish mind, been thinking of this blog post, and what I could write to make it worth reading. Of course, the alcohol has probably made it a lot harder to read (it has certainly made it a LOT harder to type), but still the show must go on as they say. So here is the show going on in the middle of what I hope to be a three day drunk, I am still finding the time to post something that I really hope is worth reading. Certainly the possibility exists that tomorrow will find me sober, hung over, and with a massive headache reading back over this post, and cringing with horror. But, for now this is as good as it gets dear reader(s), and so with a deadline looming, and a lot of actual work awaiting me in the morning, I must with regret inform you that today there is no hero of the day.

No comments: