Friday, February 12, 2010

Man on the Moon

The fellow above is one Charles Darwin, born this day 1809 in Shrewsbury, England. I have had the good fortune of reading a lovely two volume biography of M. Darwin, and I would recommend those works to you if you are really interested in the man. I do not think that (after the large lunch I just had) that I feel "up" to the task of giving too much detail about his life. I do not think that a couple of paragraphs can do it justice, and from two volumes to one page is a bit too much cutting. Read about him, the stuff we know, and the stuff you did not know. The evolution thing (just look at Wayne Rooney and you can see maybe Darwin was correct), the survival of the fittest thing (which was partially borrowed from Alfred Russell Wallace), the journey of the Beagle, and all the other things that put him on the hero pedestal all by his lonesome for today. It is for his vast knowledge, hard work, and clear thinking that Charles Darwin (February 12th 1809-April 19th 1882, at the age of 73), you are my (172nd) hero of the day.

No comments: