Sunday, December 27, 2009

Drink your Milk

Two heroes for the price of whatever they charge me for the internet at this lovely Vienna hotel. Today's hero (number 127) is Louis Pasteur, born this day 1822 in Dole, France. He was born the son of a poor tanner, but was a bright boy that went on to earn a degree in Mathematical Sciences, and teach physics at an elite university. He even got himself a little wife with whom he had five children. Two of these children died of typhoid, which is what inspired our boy Louis to try to find a cure diseases such as typhoid. I do not have the time, or the brains to go into all of Louis' work, read it for yourself, and learn something. I know I did. For all his work trying to cure the types of diseases that carried off two of his own, and for helping to make milk drinkable enough that millions of American schoolboys (such as myself) were forced to drink it down by the galleon, Louis Pasteur (December 27, 1822- September 28th, 1895, at the age of 72), you are my hero of the day.

No comments: