Saturday, July 22, 2006

Writing for the Desk Drawer

Once I started writing this blog it became apparent to me that I had to continue it regardless of readership or how badly I thought it was going. I understand that this is a common reaction to "writers" (as I hope to one day fancy myself). The writer who writes for the desk drawer is paralyzed, even as an actor can not "act" alone in his room because without an audience he is not acting but merely making faces like a child or a madman, so the writer can not write solely for posterity. The writer needs to have an immediate reaction, the sooner the better. Writing to no one is an exertion, a task that requires a great deal of effort. Writing needs to be read, reacted to, criticized, edited, praised, or any number of things. If it just sits there the writer begins to lose hope. Even if the writing is rubbish, and a great deal of what is written is, the writer needs to know that at least someone read his attempt at writing and found it wanting. This has become my attitude on my writing, it may stink, it may be boring, it may not contribute anything to society, but it is something that I feel a NEED to do (Kafka had a similar issue, but more on that some other time, and I am certainly no Kafka). Perhaps, one day in a fit of genius or inspiration I will write something truly great, but I certainly feel that the only way that might ever happen is to keep writing and see where it takes me.

2 comments:

Trouble said...

I can relate to this. I've never been able to keep a paper journal, I just felt stupid doing it. I don't know why blogging seems less stupid or contrived, but for me at least, it does.

Anonymous said...

its more impersonal is all