Sunday, July 16, 2006

Advice to the Writer in all of us

Reading the Mad Maygar(or Sandor Marai as he is more commonly known) Memoirs the other day I came up several passages that I believe would help instruct all of the world's aspiring writers. Not sure I am an aspiring writer yet, but I certainly was struck by it so I figured I would share the highlights. When discussing another Hungarian writer Marai's writes "He got so close to what he was describing-a street corner, a contemporary article of fashion, a human face- that he seemed to be sitting in the room and talking personally with his readers." "This is the secret of all great writing." I completely agree, for what good is a writer that can not take you where they want you to go? A lot of us read for knowledge or for fun. Some us read as a means of escaping the everydayness that we have to trudge through to make our way in the world. When I pick up a book set in a different time and a different place I want to be teleported there. I no longer want to me in Memphis reading about early 19th century Budapest. I want the author to take me there make me see what he sees the streets, the crowds, the sights and smells of a place that physically. I may never visit, but for a brief moment feel as if I am there. In some respects reading is an act of submission. I read, and allow the author, if they are any good, freedom to take my imagination and thoughts were they want them to go. It is my act of submission as a reader that allows the writer to take me on the same journey as they are going. However, the cost of that act of submission is that it becomes the author's responsibility to make the journey worth my while. That is heavy duty stuff, and sadly not a lot of author's are up to the task. Arthur Schopenhauer said that there are proably only 25 books worth reading in the entire history of humankind. I figure there have been a few more written since he was around, but he makes a valid point. If I am to give up access to my imagination and thoughts even for a brief time to read your book, it is incumbent upon you as an author to make the trip worth taking. This is the author's duty. Someday, when I learn how to write over a fifth grade level I hope to be able to fulfill that duty, at least for myself.

No comments: