Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Standard

I must admit that today's hero is a bit bittersweet, his name is Alexander "the Great" and he was born this day 356 B. C. in Pella, Macedonia. We all know the basic facts, born the son of a King, tutored by none other than Aristotle, and pretty much conquered the world before the age of 32. Undefeated in battle, he pretty much sets the standard for military commanders. Measure yourself against Alexander the Great huh? You will be found to be wanting I promise you. That is part of the bitter sweetness of him as a hero, when I was younger, skinner, and smarter I used to measure myself against people like Alexander, and I was appalled. Looking back at it now, I realize how fucking stupid that was, but I did it nonetheless. It was not an uplifting experience, and I don't recommend it to anyone. The good news is that unlike Alexander I lived past 32 years of age, now if I had just conquered the known world by now we would be pretty close to even, but that master plan of world conquest has never really taken off, so I figure I will have to continue to look up at him as he rests high up there on the hero podium. Also, after reading a physical description of him, I think I might have him beat in the looks department. I suppose small victories are important too. I doubt they will be naming any cities after me anytime soon, or I will get to attach "the Great" to the end of my name. And "the Average" or "the Mediocre" just doesn't have the same ring as "the Great." Although, it does appear that we share at least some traits, the fondness for booze for one, he apparently did not respond well to orders from his father, and he was stubborn. All of these things I freely admit to being a part of the make up of what little character I have. So I guess it isn't all bad, if I can say that me and Alexander the Great had somethings in common. Maybe that way I can stop comparing myself to him, and ending up horribly depressed at the results. So, for conquering the known world by the age of 32, and being "Great" Alexander of Macedonia (July 20th 356 B.C.-June 10th, 323 B.C. at the age of 32), you are my (330th) hero of the day.

No comments: