Monday, March 01, 2010

Essay



After a weekend out of town watching (and betting on) my horse stroll ever so slowly around the track at Oaklawn Park, I am back to the daily grind of writing a hero of the day post. Since I am two days behind, the fellow above, one Michel de Montaigne, will have to stand in for February 27th. His actual birthday is February 28th, 1533 in Bordeaux, France. He was born into a very wealthy family, and from the beginning his education was extremely well planned. He was sent to live with a peasant family for 3 years, in order to get what we would call today "grounded." You can read all about his planned education, and how it worked quite well, as well as anything else about his life you want to know on your own. His is mostly known today for his Essays. A book that takes himself as the subject. At the time, it was seen as him being wildly self-indulgent. He is very well known for his skeptical remark 'Que sais-je?' ('What do I know?). A good question that we should each ask ourselves everyday of our lives in some form or another. Some of his best quotes, I steal below:
If you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved.
When I play with my cat, how do I know that she is not passing time with me rather than I with her?
Not being able to govern events, I govern myself.
All good quotes, and you should read his book. You will learn a lot about life, and a whole lot about Montaigne. During his life he was known more as a statesmen that as a writer, but it is as a writer willing to take himself for a subject that Michel de Montaigne (February 28th, 1533-September 13, 1592, at the age of 59), you are my (185th) hero of the day. (for the 27th of February).

No comments: