Monday, August 24, 2009

Delight in Disorder


Easy choice today, as heroes are just as thick on the ground as I thought they might be. The big nosed fellow above is one Robert Herrick born this day in London in the year 1591. A poet that started out as a goldsmith's apprentice, and eventually became a vicar, Mr. Herrick still found the time to write some lovely verse. In fact anyone who has ever had a girlfriend (and I did, back in the day) named Julia owes Mr. Herrick a large debt of gratitude. He wrote the following lovely poem, that when declaimed at the proper time was money.
UPON JULIA'S CLOTHES
WHENAS in silks my Julia goes,
Then, then, methinks, how sweetly flows
That liquefaction of her clothes.
Next, when I cast mine eyes and see
That brave vibration each way free ;O how that glittering taketh me !
Good stuff, and quite racy for the time he was writing it, my personal favourite poem of his is the following.
DELIGHT IN DISORDER
A SWEET disorder in the dress
Kindles in clothes a wantonness :
A lawn about the shoulders thrown
Into a fine distraction :
An erring lace which here and there Enthrals the crimson stomacher :
A cuff neglectful, and thereby Ribbons to flow confusedly :
A winning wave (deserving note) In the tempestuous petticoat :
A careless shoe-string, in whose tie
I see a wild civility :
Do more bewitch me than when art Is too precise in every part.
Great stuff as well, of course, most people will recognize his "To Virgins Make Much of Time" poem from the movie Dead Poets Society, but for me the poems above were far superior, and I never had to declaim poetry to a virgin. Guess I was just lucky that way. So for writing the exquisite lines above, and helping my awkward ass win over the girls, Robert Herrick (August 24th 1591- sometime in October?-1674), you are my hero of the day.

No comments: