Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Close Shave

The closely shaved fellow above is number one 135 on the hero list. His name is King Camp Gillette born this day 1855 in Fon du lac, Wisconsin. And all the male readers of this blog will know why he is on the hero list. He is the genius that came up with the disposable safety razor, making it possible for all us real men who can grow hair on their face to keep that hair off our face. I loathe shaving, but I suspect I would loathe it more if I had to use some straight blade razor that needed to be sharpened all the time. I would probably cut me own throat with one of those death machines. So I guess I owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Gillette for coming up with the idea of a disposable razor, and for making it so readily marketable. He founded the Gillette Safety Razor Company, and put his face on the packaging. He was recognized around the country because of that marketing idea, and people often were surprised he was a real person, and not just a marketing ploy. He made a huge fortune, but invested it unwisely and died virtually broke. But for making it possible to shave without cutting off valuable parts of my pretty little face, King Camp Gillette (January 5th, 1855- July 9th, 1932, at the age of 77), you are my hero of the day.

No comments: