Friday, August 11, 2006

Sir Matthew Hale

Sir Matthew Hale a great judge for his time several others I think were great judges: Baron Pollack, Learned Hand (yes his real name) Benjamin Cardozo, Thomas More, Lord Mansfield, Edward Montagu, and Robert Jackson. Obviously an incomplete list, but these people were JUDGES. The first duty of a judge is to make decisions regardless of what happens it is a judge's responsibility to make decisions. In this day and age judges are elected, a horrid way to get justice, but it appears to be the most popular way we have. An elected judge is like a congressman they have a consituenty voters who can make or break them. It puts a lot of pressure on a judge facing re-election to be seen as fair or tough on crime or as just in order to win votes. Somewhere in all of that justice is sometimes lost or at least seriously misplaced.
I see and experience judges on a daily basis some good, some not so good, some terrible. It is the terrible ones that make you wince, judges that refuse to either follow the law or refuse to make decisions. The ones who try to make everybody happy. In my experience the decisions that make both parties slightly mad are the best decisions. There is no rhyme or reason to this post except I am suffering from a mild case of witer's bloc, and this is the best I could do. After all, I do have a responsibilty to my thousands of readers.

2 comments:

Cynnie said...

I hate the good ol' boy system..
all the lawyers and the judge are all chummy , and I think they toss a coin to see who wins whatever..
I use to hafta take kids into the courts and it was just totally fucked most of the time..

tideliar said...

Curious as to why the judges who make both parties mad are better. I think I know, but I'm not sure...