Saturday, November 21, 2009

Candide


Finally good news a break in the drought of heroes. The fellow above is our 94th hero of the day, one Francois-Marie Arouet otherwise known as Voltaire. Stick with me, dear readers on why this post is not going to be up to par as to the details of our hero's life. I have spent the last 18 hours being extremely ill, and spending some quality time in the reading room of my house. It is times like these that I am grateful that I have two such reading rooms. Ease of access no matter what my location in the house, and in case of visitors or co inhabitants, I can stagger into the one furthermost away to do my sinful business and/or puke my fucking guts out. All this unsolicited information is shared by way of explaining that today's post is just more than I can bear. Besides our heroic fellow above was a prolific writer and produced works in almost every literary form including plays, poetry, novels, essays, historical, and scientific works, and more than 20,000 letters and more than 2,000 books and pamphlets. Hard to summarize his heroic impact on my life in a simple little blog post, even if I didn't feel like warmed over dog crap, but I do feel like warmed over dog crap, and I am just going to have to let you look his works up for yourself (not that hard to do), and draw you own conclusions. His letters alone take up 102 volumes! So attempting to try to pin down one, or two little things that make him a hero is impossible, so therefore, I will not try it. Suffice to say for being for the world's greatest writers, ill or not, Voltaire (November 21st, 1694- May 30th, 1778, at the age of 83), you are my hero of the day.

No comments: