Friday, September 06, 2024

Death of a Skeptic

 I  took the Rationalist's records the night I murdered him, he seemed to want me to have them, and I was between books at the time, so I thought why not give them a read. I had heard from the CC that he fancied himself a writer, and wanted to see if his fancy would tickle mine. As it turned out it did, much as the bastard had predicated it would. His records were an expansion upon the Romantic's records. It didn't take a brain surgeon to suss out that the Rationalist had killed the Romantic and that was how he came into possession of the Romantic's records. I had put a bullet in the Rationalist's brain, and here I was, seemingly another link in a daisy chain that I wasn't sure I was okay being with being a link of. I started with the Romantic's dribble, and dribble it was, at least to a fellow of a skeptical bent such as myself. I read of the Romantic's hopes and dreams, his few successes and his many failures. It seemed he took his Romanticism seriously, and eventually it became more than he could bear. After a while, I began to wonder why the Rationalist was sent to kill the Romantic, In my (somewhat expert opinion) on whacking people it was clear to me that given enough time, and a couple of more (eventual) failures, the Romantic would have whacked himself. 

Maybe the CC knew (or knows) something I don't (or didn't) maybe they just were tired of waiting for 'nature to take its course' and sent the Rationalist to put a little hurry up on the demise of the Romantic. Or maybe they were concerned that he would pull a von Kleist and shoot the latest objection of his affections before deciding to shuffle himself off this mortal coil. Either way, the Romantic was a stone cold dead as dead could be, and as far as I could tell no one missed him overmuch, then again I am not in a position to know that. Maybe somewhere in some forgotten corner of the Romantic's life there exists some damn fool that thinks of him with a degree of fondness.  Maybe there was someone beautiful and strange (she would have to be strange to love the Romantic) that missed him and is still left wondering why he hasn't written or done something equally stupidly Romantic like showing up to crash her wedding. I couldn't sort out any names from the scattered notes that the Romantic kept, he seemed to go out of his way to obscure the names, and the Rationalist (oddly) did not seem to motivated to make sense of the Romantic's ramblings. Maybe the CC, and by extension me, didn't give him enough time. 

The Rationalist, the man I killed, did make a few queries into the wanderings of the Romantic, being the Rationalist, he wanted names. I am not sure if this was to solve a puzzle that was perplexing him, or to send poison pen letters to the late Romantic's paramours in some sort of sick game or not. Being a Rational type of fellow I figure he just wanted to solve the mystery of who "the one that treats me like shit", "nellie the elephant", or "little miss disloyal" actually were in real life. His notes, much less chaotic, and much more prosaic than the Romantic's made a fair more amount of sense. His writing far less beautiful, but more coherent than the Romantic's led me to eventually put real names to the people the Romantic wanted to hide behind cute little nicknames.

These names, these women would not be pleased at the conclusions the Rationalist came to about them. He lacked the Romantic's, well Romanticism, and looked at this collection of women, as the main cause of the CC's desire to have the Romantic made deceased. The Rationalist solved the mysteries as to the names, but as far as I can tell from his notes, he was unable to solve why the Romantic did what he did in relation to the women in his life. To be fair to the Rationalist, he was not the man you wanted to untangle the mysteries of the Romantic's scribble. His mind was load bearing, the Romantic's mind was eye catching, and those two are hard to combine. Reading the Rationalist's notes and watching him struggle to make sense of why the Romantic did what he did, and why at least one of the "women in his life" didn't just shoot him makes one wonder why the CC even bothered whacking the Romantic. He seemed to be a harmless kind of fellow, and one destined for a short life span anyway. The need to shorten that life span was something that the CC did not share with the Rationalist. They merely told him to kill the Romantic, and being a rational, rule following fellow he did just that. 

The Rationalist once wrote of the Romantic  that he "not only liked to flirt with death, he liked to invite it home with him, have a romp with it, and then buy it cookies." Rereading that sentence gives me pause it is a line worthy of the Romantic, and yet it was written by the Rationalist. Perhaps, killing him made the Rationalist somehow sympathetic to the Romantic. Or maybe he just meant it in the literal sense. The Rationalist, as it would turn out, would never suspect that I would be the one to murder him. Odd that, one would think, that being a rational, thinking man he would have puzzled it out. My job wasn't sympathy my job was to whack the Rationalist, and that is what I did. The Rationalist apparently deserved it, the CC ordered it, and I made it happen. Welcome to the line of succession. This was not a part of the brochure. 

Unlike the Romantic, who made it fairly easy for the Rationalist, and unlike the Rationalist who made it easy enough for me, I resolved not to be the next link in the daisy chain of death.  I was better than that, I was not going to go gentle into that good night, and I was not going to be such a damn fool as to be surprised by the wolves when they showed up at the door. I kept close watch on my keys, and I didn't wander around my city in a drunken haze, making lampposts my temporary best friends like those who had gone before me. Sober living isn't really living, but I figured it would at least keep me alive. Besides, drinking at home is safe enough right? The wolves don't have the key, and if you move enough they have almost as much trouble as the post office in finding out where you really live. 

Reading the mad ramblings of the Romantic, and then reading the Rationalist's measured, but flawed approach in trying to make sense of them led me to attempt to synthesize the two. It is a vanity project that probably needs to be fed into the fire, but it keeps me from falling into the trap that snared the Rationalist. Or at least I thought it did. I made sure to keep my thoughts as secret as I possibly could, but a secret is something that once spoken aloud, ceases to become a secret. A hiding place is only as good as the man who picks it, and it appears I am not as clever as I thought I was. This was made clear one fine night when the "knock" came at the door. Why they bother knocking is beyond me, but I guess it makes them feel better about themselves, and what they are there to do.

When I opened the door, I knew what the fellow on the other side was there to do. He wasn't anything remarkable, not tall, blond, and muscular with locks of flowing hair. No, he was just a man, a man that were you to walk by him on the street you wouldn't look twice at. I took one look at him, and just to make myself feel better I said "I thought you'd be taller." He let out a small laugh at that, nodded, and replied "people often do." As pleasant as a Fuller brush salesman, he asked "May I come in?" I opened the door further and gestured for him to enter, I really had no other choice, no need to kick to hard, I knew that from experience. 

I motioned for him to have a seat, "I suppose the CC has decided that I've outlived my usefulness." He nodded "it seems so, you know as well as I do how they work, they didn't tell me the why, they just told me the what." Of course I knew that didn't make it any better but I knew. "I've got something for you, it is in the other room, and with your permission I'll go get it." He shook his head, and tutted "no lad I can't allow you to do that. I know you've a Roscoe somewhere in here, and I don't feel like making this any more difficult than it needs to be." I sat down and nodded, "fair enough I wasn't going for the Roscoe anyway, your showing up is in many ways a relief. What I have to pass on to you is the gift of the 'daisy chain'.  He arched an eyebrow "I am not much interested in flowers, so I'll have to pass." 

"This isn't 'real' flowers, they are literary sunflowers if you will, they are the notes of the Romantic, who got himself on the wrong side of the CC, and then the additions to those of the Rationalist who also managed to get himself deceased courtesy of yours truly, and finally my own scribblings. Another link in the 'daisy chain' as it were." He let out a small sigh "I'm not much into reading beyond the classics, but if it will make you feel better, go get them." He pulled out his own Roscoe and leveled it at me and said "but real slow like, and if you come out with anything other than paper in your hands, I'll make this last two days." 

I put my hands up to signal my agreement, "I've no desire for a slow death, besides I'm not a gunslinger. I not going to come out guns blazing and hope I get you before you get me. You are just like me one of a multitude, the CC would just send someone else to do your job, and eventually they would succeed, no need to fight the fates." He smiled "fair enough, go get whatever it is, but make it quick. You know time is money and my alibi is only going to be able to remember our agreed upon story for so long before they get too drunk to make the details clear to the flics." I stood up, "the whiskey is over there" I pointed to the liquor cabinet, "help yourself, get the good shit and pour me twice whatever you pour yourself no need to go to the grave stone sober." He stood as well, "on that, at least, we can agree. I do hope you've got something worth savoring."

I walked slowly and carefully away from him to my bedroom and found the box that contains the Romantic's writings, the Rationalist's additions, and my own attempts to make it make sense. I took a very long, slow, deep breath and realized that I was about to die. Life doesn't prepare you for death. Even though all life is is a prelude to death, it still doesn't prepare you for it. Silly really. Because you know you're not immortal almost as soon as you know that left is left and right is right. I guess knowing it, and facing it within a few minutes are different. I was finding that out now, and I didn't really like the feeling. But life is life, and death is death, and the fellow in the next room wasn't going to wait forever, and besides what else did I really have to do? It wasn't like I am a good person, I fucking killed the Rationalist, I knew what I was doing when I did it, and I knew (and he told me) that eventually 'they' would come for me. Well 'they' were in the next room, and it was best not to keep them waiting, that would just be rude. And if you can be pleasant to anyone, you should at least try to be pleasant to death. 

I gathered the papers I needed, took another long breath (one I considered my last, even if it technically wasn't) and walked back to my living room where my fate awaited me in the form of a normal looking fellow you wouldn't peg for a stone, cold killer, but then again no one who knew me would ever think I had killed the Rationalist. The CC had a lot of flaws, but picking it's executioners isn't one of them. I walked into the room and noticed he had in fact helped himself to the "good stuff" and had mercifully poured me a double measure of it as well. "Feel free to take the bottle with you, no need for it to go to waste, and I'd feel better if I knew it went to a good home." He raised his glass and said "I appreciate that, and I will take you up on it." We clinked glasses and I had about two thirds of my drink down me, when he shot me straight in the heart. A true professional.

I felt it was the least I could do, let him have his last drink, and end it as quickly as possible. No need to muck about with reasons for this and reasons for that. He was a doubter not a disbeliver, and that was what the CC had decided was the reason he needed to die. I was there to make it happen. I wasn't there to listen to a speech, or to bargain with him. To his credit, I don't think he would have done either, but I wanted to be sure, plus I figured there's no real way to prepare yourself to be shot, so why not let him have one last (half glass) of the good shit on his palate when I ended him. He sputtered a bit, somehow still managed a look of surprised before he managed to mutter his last word "thanks". It was as good as a last word as any other, and I raised the rest of my glass of the "good stuff" to him, took his bottle as he requested, and his pile of papers labeled "to be read by my murderer" and left as quietly as I had came. Thus ended the Skeptic. 




 

  




No comments: