Thursday, September 17, 2009

Man is Ape to Man


The well dressed fellow above is one Roddy McDowall born this day 1928, in London, England. His family moved to American because of the Blitz in England at the time, and he was a child star first appearing How Green Was My Valley in 1941. He also appeared in 1943's Lassie Come Home. It is for his most famous role that he achieved my hero status, that Cornelius in the Planet of the Apes series of movies. Playing the voice of reason, and the calm half of the scientist partnership of him and his wife Vera. A compassionate role, played by (according to his friends), a compassionate man. He was in four of the five Planet of the Apes movies, and they are how I remember him. Though I am beginning to think that perhaps I watch too much TV or movies based on the number of actors or actresses that have made appearances as my heroes. The sad part of it all is that I really do READ a lot. I read much more than I watch TV, and am beginning to despair of finding any authors that are heroic. This might be a product of confining myself to using the hero's birthday to blog about them. Maybe in a couple of months, if I can keep this idea afloat there will be a spate of author's birthdays just waiting for me. I can only hope so. But for, showing us that Ape and Man can both have compassion for Ape or Man, Roddy McDowall (September 17th, 1928- October 3rd, 1998 of lung cancer at the age of 70), you are my hero of the day.

No comments: